Unlock LG Bootloader
LG devices come with locked bootloader and they officially support unlocking it. Unlocking bootloader is necessary for advanced procedures like rooting and installing custom ROM’s. The unlocking process is mostly similar to all devices irrespective of the carrier contract and country and it has good support from LG developers community. But your carrier may hold the rights to restrict you from unlocking the bootloader. You need to contact the technical team of your carrier.
Note that you may void warranty of your device by unlocking the bootloader. You may brick your device if misused. We are not responsible for any damages incurred. Proceed at your own risk.
Before Unlock LG Bootloader :
- Backup your device along with sd card to PC. Unlocking bootloader will wipe user data.
- Download an install ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC.
- Enable USB debugging in developer options. If you can’t see developer options on your device, navigate to settings – about phone – build number and tap on device number 7 times. Developer options will be unlocked and can be seen in settings menu.
- Enable OEM unlocking in developer options. This is essential for unlocking the bootloader.
- Note down the IMEI number of your device by dialing *#06#
- Make sure you have all USB drivers of your device installed on your PC.
After following the above steps you need to get the device id of your device. To get the device id, connect your device to PC and open command from the folder where you have installed ADB and Fastboot drivers (right click in empty space and select open command here). Then type the command ‘adb reboot bootloader’ This will reboot your device into bootloader.
After rebooting the device into bootloader, type the command ‘fastboot oem device-id’. You will get your device id in two rows with 32 alphanumeric code per row. Copy the code and make the code into a single row, which means 32 alphanumeric code per row will become 64 alphanumeric code in a single row. Copy the code and save it as a text file.
Go to LG Developers site and sign with your developer id and password. After that the site will prompt to enter the first 15 digits of the IMEI code and device id to generate the unlocking key. Enter the details and click confirm. Unlock key will be sent through email to your id with .bin extension. Download the file and copy to the folder where you have installed ADB and fastboot drivers.
In the command prompt, assuming that your device is connected to PC in bootloader mode, type the command ‘fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin’ and hit enter. Congratulations, you have successfully unlocked bootloader. Type the command ‘fastboot reboot’ to reboot the device normally.
You can check the bootloader status by rebooting into into bootloader again (adb reboot bootloader) and type the command ‘fastboot getvar unlocked’ and you will get the string as unlocked:yes.
You can restore your device from backup after unlocking the bootloader.
Share your opinions in comments below.